Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Good Ol' Americana

People I meet in Hungary often ask me what I miss about home? The first things I mention are family and friends and our dog, but after that it all starts to blur together. Food is usually at the top of my list too. Not that the food in Hungary isn't good, and we can find many things in the grocery, but one thing is usually at the top of my list...Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Bread. You see I have been eating this bread for toast since I was a baby practically. For 25 years I have always had my toast in the morning, call me a creature of habit. Now you may say, but isn't there good bread to eat in Hungary? Can't you make toast? Sorry, but if you have never had Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Bread then you won't understand my dilemma. It's that good! They don't sell it in Hungary and trust me I did my research even before I came to the country. I knew what I was getting myself into, but it doesn't make it any easier. 

So you can imagine my sheer joy when I opened a package from Ben's parents with a loaf of Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Bread in it (there were other many wonderful treats in there as well). My mouth was watering as soon as I saw the cinnamon swirl delight. I probably could have composed a love poem to the bread right then...but instead I greedily took a slice and munched down. I did share a slice with Ben, so he shared in my happiness (and it was his parents who sent it after all!). 

Another item of food we missed was BBQ sauce, being from Texas, BBQ sauce is practically in a food group of its own. We have found BBQ type sauce here in Hungary, but lets face it folks it just isn't the same! We received BBQ sauce from our friend Teresa and from Ben's grandfather, Daddy E and cousin, Kelly. Thanks to all of them our chicken will be tasty once more. They also, all sent many more things in the mail. Teresa sent Beatles playing cards and candy canes. Daddy E and Kelly sent so many delicious items it probably should warrant its own separate blog post in the future. 

Lastly, we also received a package from my Mom and Step Dad. They sent many goodies for my school teaching like language CD's, stickers, Valentine's Day items, and peanut butter. Oh the sweet nectar of peanut butter---and not just any old peanut butter--Skippy Peanut Butter! Once again they sell peanut butter in Hungary (it can be found in the 'world' section at Tesco), but it just isn't the same as back home. Why peanut butter has not caught on in Hungary is besides me. These people love sandwiches so you would think it would be a perfect fit, but not so. If you have a peanut allergy come to Hungary because as far as I can tell peanuts are not a very big part of life here. Okay I take that back, they do eat peanuts/nuts and sell lots of them too! They just hardly sell any peanut butter. Maybe it's not that Hungarians don't like peanut butter, they just haven't had Skippy Peanut Butter yet! Well, watch out Hungary...I'm about to rock your world.



Me cradling my mini muffins, cinnamon bread and BBQ sauce! 

Ben holding pretzel M&M's and BBQ sauce!

Ben has found nirvana with all this delicious food!

Happy to have a piece of Americana in Hungary with me. 
P.S. if you work for Skippy or Pepperidge Farm and would like to send me more...please leave a comment below this post and I will be in contact with you shortly! Thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment