Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Geneva: The journey toward home

“The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.” ~Don Williams, Jr.

We spent a day and a half in Geneva, Switzerland before heading home to Hungary. We enjoyed many sites in Geneva, but many places were still closed because of the New Year holiday. Geneva is located in the French speaking part of Switzerland, which made it almost like going to another country. We almost went to France for the heck of it--we were only a couple miles away, but decided to be lazy. We love France, but there is only so much traveling you can put yourself through. What I mean is there is only so much you can see on a trip and then you hit a "wall." You can only appreciate so many new things and sites before it all starts to blur together. At least in my case this is true. I use to think I had to see the whole world--and do it fast, but now I'm not so sure. I am starting to feel content with how much I am seeing, but also that I don't need to rush it all at once either. I guess you could say I'm starting to learn to slow down--enjoy the simple things of travel. 

I think the best moments of this winter break trip were when we were in a leisurely mood. Like when we were strolling the streets of Vienna, smelling the fresh Salzburg air, or walking across historical bridges in Lucern and Bern. Those are the memories I will truly cherish. I think that is why I was so happy to end our travels and go back to Hungary. Living in Hungary has taught me to appreciate the little things in life more. The absence of family, friends and our pup also made me appreciate our native home even more.

It was a bitter sweet holiday this year, but we learned to get through it and hopefully came out better people for it in the long run. We will always look back at our winter break in Austria and Switzerland with fondness. We are happy we did it, but we also look forward to the future....where ever that journey may lead.



The fountain of Geneva. 







The streets of Geneva were decorated for Christmas, but with
a pac-man twist. Ben thinks this may be a good idea for
our future decorating...what do you think?

A strange art piece in the tree.




McDonald's is McExpensive in Switzerland.

Beautiful money.

No comments:

Post a Comment