Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hunglish

Everyday I learn a little bit more Hungarian...and everyday I lose a little bit of my English.


Ben and I joke that if we didn't have each other we would lose our ability to communicate normally in English. This may sound a bit extreme, but it's true. The way I have to talk to my kids, co-workers or just the people on the bus is completely different. I no longer speak fast and Ben especially has had to learn to slow down. We joke that Ben should be used as a way to test people if they are fluent in English. As in: "If you can understand this man....then you pass, and are now declared a competent English speaker." 


Ben at least gets to deal with High School and Adults in his teaching. Granted they are usually only beginner to intermediate, but still more advanced than my primary students. 


I am especially nervous about next week when I will start teaching in the school nursery. This will be children who are 3-5 years old. I will have other Hungarian-English teachers in the room to help translate, but it is still a bit daunting. You never realize how much you need your language to communicate until you don't have it anymore. 


Now Ben and I resort to all sorts of communication tricks. We make hand gestures all the time, we use our body language in different ways, and we are careful how we use eye contact. Eye contact can be both a blessing and a curse. For example: You make eye contact with someone on the bus and then make a gesture that they can sit down. This is a good thing and a friendly thing, but then they think you speak Hungarian. They then start talking to you about who-knows-what and suddenly your having a conversation in Hungarian without even trying. This is good until they expect you to respond. You then can go the route Ben does and say in Hungarian, "I don't speak Hungarian." Or you can go my pansy route and simply smile and nod and then say, "Igen (which is yes in English)."


I say igen to things I have no idea what I'm saying igen to. I don't even know if they asked me a yes/no question. But I get so tired of telling people I don't speak Hungarian that I just sometimes say igen instead. This usually gets me a positive response and they just continue talking and I continue to "listen." 


This may make me a horrible/lazy person, but sometimes it's nice to pretend you can understand what they are saying even if you don't. It's nice just to feel for a minute like you fit in. Although on the other hand I may be saying yes to who knows what. They could be asking me, "Do you want to be mugged later by a stranger?" Me, "Yes, please." Or, "Do think Unicorns really do exist?" Me, "Yes!" As you can see saying yes could become dangerous or at least make me look crazy. 


Ben says I need to stop saying igen and I agree, especially when it comes to communicating with Bus Drivers. This is my typical morning conversation with the Bus Driver trying to go to Ebes. 


Me: Ebes


Bus Driver: Ebes?


Me: Igen, Ebes.


Bus Driver: Something...something....Hungarian...Ebes.


Me: Ebes!


Bus Driver: Ebes?


Me: Igen. (This is when I make the bold move and hand them my money).


Bus Driver: Something....something....(Gives me receipt).


Me: köszönöm (thank you).


So this is why I need to learn Hungarian and fast! I mean how many more of these awkward exchanges can I go through? I feel like I need to stamp something on my forehead to let people know I'm not mentally challenged (which is probably what that Bus Driver thought of me). 


I am curious though if one day saying igen could be a good thing. Like, "My Aunt just died and left me all this money would you like some?" Igen!


So the next time your in Hungary you should try the "Dana method" and see what "Igen" can do for you! :)

2 comments:

  1. bus drivers usually ask you "egész"... meaning, "do you pay 100% or do you have a discount?" you look young enough to be a student and students have a card or paper that gives them a 50% discount, but it must be shown to the driver when buying the ticket.

    if he's saying something else... he may be crazy. just give him the money like you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I'm not surprised at all at the "Dana method", it sounds just like you. In fact, I'm pretty sure you did that here in the states too. :)

    ReplyDelete