Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Is it really better to teach in the U.S.?

I can honestly say that I have enjoyed teaching in Hungary. Sure there are days that more challenging than other days. Days when I long for the piece and quiet of my own office again. Then there are days that make me so happy that I want to break into a "High School Musical" number. Not that I know any. 

Yesterday at school was entertaining on a few levels. The primary school in Ebes is going through a much needed remodeling. The school just opened up the new wing and shut down the old wing for repairs. The new part of the school looks fantastic! However, my new classroom is bit smaller than it use to be. Every student came in saying, "This room is tiny!" Even the cleaning lady who I like to practice my Hungarian with was saying,"nagyon kicsi (very small)." 

The other amusing part of the day was that the school bells were not working yet. So what to do? I know, get a cow bell! At the beginning and the end of each class one lucky student would walk through the hallways ringing the cow bell. I could just imagine my nephew, Logan (who's in second grade) taking the responsibility very seriously saying, "Excuse me, it's not 9:45 yet, you must wait another minute before I ring the cow bell." 

The teaching atmosphere here in Hungary also seems to support teachers more than what is currently happening back home in the States. There is so much negativity towards teaching right now it makes me nervous for the future of teachers and the education system as a whole. You can read about some of it here---->Ambitious governors shift political power, focus to states and here--->The Wisconsin Teachers' Crisis: Who's Really to Blame?

I suppose I'm a little biased about teaching since I'm married to a teacher and now have taught myself for a while. I truly hope that the State governments start supporting teachers again. Then again we could always just outsource education in the U.S. to places like Hungary or even China. After all Hungarian teachers get paid much, much less than the average U.S. teacher. Comedian Jon Stewart said it best last night, "What I am proposing is that we disassemble our children, ship them, and have them reassembled over there. We will win the future!" Click on the link to read more about Jon Stewart defending teachers

Today's Hungarian word is: oktatás (it means education in English)

No comments:

Post a Comment