Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dana's iPod List

I spend a lot of time on buses, trams, and trains. I love public transportation, but I do miss having my own car...sometimes. Two things I miss most about having a car are: one the freedom to go when you want and not being tied to a schedule. And two: being able to crank up my music.

Luckily we live in the age of iPods or just portable music in general. So I still get to crank my music up to a healthy level of course (I don't want to burst my ear drums) and listen away. Also, I never want to be one of those people who you can hear their music even though they are wearing earphones.

Here is a top 10 list of my most played songs on my iPod. Starting from least to most played (in order to build excitement). I have also provided You Tube links to the songs if you haven't heard them before now. Enjoy!

10. Buster Voodoo--by Rodrigo Y Gabriela
I love this song because it reminds me of warm days in Texas and gets me energized. I often imagine a great soccer/football match happening to this song.

9. Comfort Eagle--by Cake
This song has so many great layers. It has a great beat and lyrics, but also has a tinge of a political message to it. Besides doesn't everyone want to be called "Dude"?

8. Head Full Of Doubt/ Road Full Of Promise--by The Avett Brothers
"Decide what to be and go be it." This song really resonates with me. I listened to this song a LOT before coming to Hungary and still love it today. It's a song about finding yourself, dreams and learning about life.

7. When Your Mind's Made Up-- by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova 
This is from the movie "Once." The whole soundtrack/movie is worth checking out and this is one of the main songs off of it.

6. Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk-- by Rufus Wainwright 
I don't even like cigarettes and hardly ever drink chocolate milk, but I still love this song. I can't explain why, but some songs just get under your skin and become addictive. Kind of like cigarettes and chocolate milk?

5. Vanilla Sky--by Paul McCartney 
The movie Vanilla Sky is weird, but this song is a gem. Besides what iPod list of mine would be complete without at least one Beatle. I love the lyrics, "your life is fine, sweet and sour, unbearable, but great." Doesn't everyone feel that at some point?

4. Winter Winds--by Mumfort & Sons
This band competes with the Avett Brothers for favorite new alternative band. This song wins top billing because it became my anthem of sorts through the cold winter months here in Hungary. "Remember spring swaps snow for leaves, You'll be happy and wholesome again, When the city clears and sun ascends." Truer words were never spoken.

3. Just Like Honey--by Jesus and Mary Chain
If this song sounds familiar that's because it was featured in the movie "Lost in Translation" at the end of it. Now if I could only figure out what Bill Murray whispered to Scarlett Johansson at the end of that movie I would have it made.


2. Solsbury Hill--by Peter Gabriel 
When I listen to this song I imagine all sorts of weird things like a talking eagle, running up hills and turning water into wine. However, at the end of the song I always feel more inspired and ready to take on the world...so there must be something to it all. :)

1. Us-- Regina Spektor 
I think this is me and Ben's theme song for the year. I like to imagine us running through different cities in Europe wearing our scarfs just like a noose, but not because we want eternal sleep. You'll have to listen to the song to get the reference. :)


Honorable Mention: Antarctica--by The Weepies
"I'll just remember the wind and the snow" is sometimes how I think I will remember Hungary. But now that spring is here I'll have to find a new song to remind me of Hungary.

No comments:

Post a Comment