Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Today is a holiday, didn't you know!

Today is Women’s Day in Hungary. It is an international holiday, but if your from the U.S. like I am then you probably don’t celebrate it and/or have ever heard of it. This holiday takes the best parts of Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day a puts them in one.

It is a holiday celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. You gotta love a holiday that screams “girl power” without being overtly obnoxious about it. 

Chocolate's from one of my students.

It was funny arriving at school today and not realizing what today was at first. I saw signs saying boldog nőnapot with flowers on them, but for some reason I thought it had something to do with the arrival of spring time. I wanted to say, “You know spring isn’t for a few weeks still.” Obviously, I need to work on my hungarian language skills still, but that’s a post for some other time. (The signs actually said Happy Women's Day!)

I was still clueless to what was going on even when one of my students gave me a box of chocolates. I looked at him and said, “What is this for? Well, okay thanks!" He just smiled politely and went to his seat, probably thinking I’m a crazy woman for not knowing that a holiday about women is going on. By my third class I finally decoded the mystery that it was Women’s Day. 

A flower from one of my students.

The best part of this holiday is that if you forget as a woman it doesn’t matter, however if you forget as a man...yikes! I had a good laugh after work watching men scurry to and from flower shops. Like a scene from Valentine’s Day back home, men were lined up outside the shops anxiously waiting for their turn. You could see the men silently praying that they get home with their flowers before their wives realize that they forgot the holiday.

Now don’t be mad at Ben, but he did not get me a gift or flower for Women’s Day. He got me flowers on Valentine’s Day a couple of weeks ago and that was good enough for me. I even shared my box of chocolates with Ben, since he didn’t get any at his work today.

It isn’t always easy being a girl/woman, but today in Hungary I’m pretty sure it was. Thanks Hungary for making me feel special.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment