Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

A few inches later...

I don't like getting my hair cut. I didn't even have my first salon haircut until I was 10 years old. There's a few reasons I don't like cutting my hair. One I have really thick hair, so getting a haircut can turn into a mini torture session---especially when they are blow drying it and styling it. I have been to too many hairstylists who have yanked and pulled my hair to the point I thought my scalp might be bleeding. The second reason I sometimes fear haircuts is because I fear the style I want will backfire on me. I fear my hair will look so bad that even wearing a hat will not be enough to cover up the damage. This sounds really vain, but I would like to think I'm not the only person out there that worries about getting a bad haircut. 

I got my hair trimmed back in December, but with summer approaching I knew I wanted a real haircut before too long. So when Ben started lessons with a hairstylist this semester I got excited. I had Ben set up the hair appointment and we went to the salon. The salon is tucked away in a side street just off the main square. The salon was modern and spacious and the staff was friendly. I showed pictures of the style I wanted and Tamas, the stylist and owner of the salon went to work. An hour or so later, my hair was much shorter and lighter. I probably lost 5 pounds of hair--or at least it felt that way. 

The next day at work my kids were very excited. "Dana, your hair!" They exclaimed. My kids all searched for the right words/phrases to say like, "beautiful, it is short, and very nice hair." My nursery kids were the funniest of all. They couldn't verbalize exactly what to say so they just smiled and pointed. Once the lesson started they all reached out and touched my hair like it was some sort of creature they had never seen before. It's moments like that make getting a 'scary' haircut all worth it. 



Before


Chop, chop.


After

Surprise!

Ben and me on our balcony. 

No comments:

Post a Comment