Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Transylvania Trip: Day 2

Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words. 
- Plautus

This may shock you, but I didn't get any presents for my birthday---instead I got a trip to Romania. This was my first birthday not in the United States and not being with family. It was a bit strange to wake up on my birthday and feel so completely disconnected from the world. I didn't mind it really, but it was weird that no one on the trip knew it was my birthday. All day I felt like I had a secret, but I didn't know how to share it. How do you tell everyone it is your birthday without feeling slightly lame at the same time? 

Ben of course knew it was my birthday, but played it cool and didn't say anything to anyone either. I had a bit of a selfish hope that someone would surprise me with a cake, but unfortunately even the best laid plans have trouble. I suppose I am getting ahead of myself--so here is how the rest of my day went first. 

Our first stop of the day was to a embroidery/craft market. We found many beautiful items and bought a few souvenirs for family back home. Ben urged me to buy a birthday present for myself, but I resisted. After all we need to save our money for our last trip coming up in June.


Birthday girl.

The beautiful house we stayed in that night. 

The embroidery/ craft market street.

You can see through the money and it feels kind of like plastic.

The country side of Transylvania.
We arrived in the former "capital" of Transylvania around mid-morning. We did a tour of sightseeing and then went into the St. Michael's Church. It was built in the 14th century in the Gothic style and has the tallest church tower in Romania today.


St. Michael's Church and the statue of Matthias Corvinus in front.

Part of Unirii Square.


Inside St. Michael's Church.


Ben enjoying the church.
Once our tour of the church was over it was time for lunch. We found a great restaurant that offered African quesadilla's--which were very similar to Mexican quesadilla's. Our group hurried through our one hour lunch (you always need at least 2 hours in Europe) and made our way back to the meeting place. However, the rest of the group was still waiting for their food and hadn't even eaten yet. So to kill time we headed to a cafe/bar for a little afternoon snack. I got a cappuccino and Ben got a coffee liqueur milkshake thing. The menu was very entertaining to read (see picture bellow) and then it was time to meet our group again. This time we were the ones that ended up being late even though we had initially been early, but hey that's Europe for you.  

After lunch I found a cafe that was named after me. 

Mussolini gave many of these statues to
Romania as a gesture of friendship--since
both countries speak a latin based language. 

Our entertaining menu. I think I'll have the
Flatline please. 

Ben thought this little fruit looked like a pac-man. 

The Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral.

Another landscape picture of Transylvania.
There is going to be a lot of these picture (just a warning). 
We traveled on to our next stop which was Torda Canyon. The weather was sunny when we got there, but rain clouds quickly approached just after we left. The views were breathtaking and the clouds added a great contrast to the hills.

On one of the hills near the canyon. 


The group looking over the edge (except for me).



As we drove away from the canyon the rain clouds continued to follow us on our journey. The last stop of the day was Torocko (Rimetea). A medieval (Saxon-Szekely) village that is a world heritage site. The village is a wonderfully preserved in time. The locals may dress in modern clothing and there may be a satellite dish on every roof, but the true rural charm is still intact. 

After walking around the village for an hour it was time for dinner. At last I thought, my birthday moment may come. Dinner did come, but my birthday moment did not. After three courses, but no cake I sat there feeling a little glum. No amount of palinka could cure my mood, but then Ben raised his glass and told everyone it was my birthday at last. Hooray, finally! Everyone graciously sang "Happy Birthday" once in English and one more time in Hungarian. We then all headed to the local pub in the village (I think there is only one) and enjoyed some more merriment. Sharing your birthday with a bunch of English teachers has its nerdy perks. One the conversation is never dull and two we played fun word game. I might have done better at playing the game had I not had the few palinka shots preceding it. Later after we left the pub Ben told me the real story of my birthday events. 

He had talked with our group leader several days before the trip and had arranged a surprise birthday cake with her. However, no offense to our group leader, but she is sometimes forgetful...so the birthday cake was forgotten. Ben felt bad that it had not gone to plan, but then again a if it had gone to plan, it wouldn't have been a true birthday in Hungary/Romania. As they say in Hungary, "Nothing is certain but uncertainty." So maybe my 26th birthday was less than planned, but the experience was unforgettable. 


The view from our balcony at the place we stayed that night.

Exploring the town while the rain came down.

A map, but where we are is anyone's guess. 





The front of the place where we all stayed that night.


Artistic shot of someones gate.

You know you are in the country when a random cow walks
right on by you. 



Moo!

Another cow being herded by some locals.

It is said the sun rises and sets twice a day because it is highlighted
by the mountains behind it.

1 comment: