Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What's in a name?

When you live in Hungary you start realizing that a lot of people have the same name. Why are there so many Jano’s, Kriszti’s, Kata’s and Zoli’s? There is a simple reason behind all this and it’s called a Name Day.

Benjamin's Name Day
Anna's Name Day (Our Niece)
Claudia's Name Day (Ben's MeMaw)
Eric's Name Day (Our friend)
Katie's Name Day (Ben's sister)
The whole Name Day Calendar. Ben covered up the picture
of Megan Fox in the middle so I wouldn't have to stare at it all the time.
I didn't even have to ask! :)

Imagine your birthday plus Christmas rolled into one and you will understand why Name Days are so big in Hungary. Every day on the calendar is marked with a name--sometimes more than one name occupies a day. Whatever day your name falls on is your Name Day.

Most (not all) Hungarian’s pick names from this list of Name Days when choosing a name for their child. Or they use the name of the Father for the son to pass down the family legacy. Or they might use a middle name for a first name. Either way, naming a child in Hungary is steeped in tradition.

Name Days are not just a Hungarian thing, but many cultures celebrate first names associated with a day of the year. Unfortunately and fortunately this tradition has not caught on in the States. I say unfortunately because it would be fun to have a second day to celebrate yourself and those you love, but I say fortunately because I can only imagine the craziness of it all. It is hard enough to remember someones birthday, but then keep track of Name Days on top of that? Sheesh. Maybe I’m lazy, but if you know enough people you might have to buy a present every other day for someone celebrating.

The Hungarians have found a solution to keeping track of your loved one’s Name Days and that is by putting Name Day calendars everywhere. I see them at school, I see them in random shops and we even had one already posted in our apartment when we moved in.


Can you find your Name Day?
All this Name Day excitement makes me a little sad because I do not have a Name Day. When my primary kids asked me when my Name Day was I had to tell them the sad truth. They just looked bewildered and then you could tell they pitied me. “Oh no Daaana (that’s how it sounds when they say my name), I’m so sorry.” I told them it was okay, but I think they were reluctant to believe me.

So what does all this Name Day business actually boil down to? Should you name your child something off the Name Day list or go your own way? The next generation of Hungarians will have to decide what to do. Many will probably uphold the tradition of Name Days, but perhaps as more “western” influences seep into the culture the tradition will fade. In my opinion, the tradition will keep going strong--especially after seeing the looks on my 3rd graders faces when I told them I didn’t have a Name Day. They can’t imagine a parent being so cruel! Thanks a lot Mom and Dad, now I have to change my name to Diana---my new Name Day will be September 18.

1 comment:

  1. DALMA
    - Vörösmarty Mihály névalkotása a dal szóból.

    or you could chose this one :)

    ReplyDelete