Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Being Sick Abroad

Well you may have noticed that we have been missing from our blog the last several days and that is because we have been sick. We started off the week with a nice Valentines Day. I bought Dana flowers and we went out for a nice dinner. The best part about being abroad for Valentines is that no one really celebrates it abroad. So we had absolutely no problem getting a table at a nice restaurant and enjoying a night out. But the niceness of our week stopped there.

On Tuesday we woke up to get ready for work. Dana left the bed first and came back pretty quickly saying that she felt horrible. I told her to get back in bed and I would call our contact to get us a doctor and tell Dana's school that she was not going to be in. She fell back asleep and I headed to work. I was only at work for about 30 minutes when I suddenly felt like crap. I could barley stand up and I felt both hot and cold. My students first asked me if I smoked because I started having a really bad cough. I kind of laughed and said no. Then I just sat down for the last 10 minutes of class and told the students to work on their homework. They told me I should go to the doctor and that I looked ill. My first period is a good group of kids and appreciated their concern. I then went to my contact and told her I needed to go home. she agreed and told me to head home. I came back stripped down and crashed next to Dana. 

Our contact arranged a doctors appointment for us and so we journeyed over to the doctor's office. This was our first experience with government health care. To be honest it was just as long of a wait back home and I felt no lack of quality. The building was not as nice and there was a little confusion about us both being sick and not just Dana but that was it. Our symptoms were heavy coughing, congestion, light headedness, chills, sneezing, running nose, and exhaustion. We were told we had sinus infections and they recommended we take the week off and gave us some medication. Our employers cooperated and we have been home ever since.

The first day we were awake for maybe 4 hours. The next day we took more of our medication and slept some more. We called our parents to tell them what was up. Other than that we just used a mountain of kleenex, slept and ate at strange hours, took multiple showers, broke into hot spells in the night, and eventually started feeling better. Hopefully we will be back to normal soon.



Getting ready to take some alka-seltser like medicine.

Our medications


Taking the alka-seltzer like stuff.
Not very tasty :)

Dana preparing for the same.

Trying a different approach.

Still not good.

Finishing off the glass.
Finishing mine as well.
P.S. It's okay to laugh at these pictures of us drinking our medicine...we thought they were pretty funny too! :)

1 comment:

  1. I think that medicin has terrible taste too. A bit metallic like blood... bahh

    ReplyDelete