Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Ben's Haircut Experience

My hair was getting a little ridiculous in it’s length. I had a little bit of a mullet going and I noticed my shadow had wings by my neck. So I finally decided to get a haircut this past week. I did not want to go to a barber because they are always way to eager to buzz everything off so I went a salon. I liked our salon back in Fort Worth, Lemon Grass, it was where Dana went and they were great. You would get a hand or scalp massage and get a great hair style as well. Men, I know I sound a little feminine, but face it you know you would like it too.

So I asked my contact to recommend a good place and she set me up an appointment with her person. She wrote down the directions and gave me the time. So I left to go there last Tuesday and the journey begins well. However, the directions were a little off. I am following the drawn map and pass about 3 different places none of which have the name I am looking for. So I have an appointment at 6:00 and I am freaking out trying to figure out the right place due to the fact that it is already 6:15.

I run into one place and say the name I am looking for and they just point out the door letting me know it is somewhere else. So finally I find the place and it is 6:20. So inside the salon is my lady tapping her foot and leaning on the chair while staring at the clock with a pissed off look. I don’t know how to say I am sorry so I try my best using my shoulders and hands. I sit down and give her a printed out picture of the cut I am going for. I am not embarrassed to say it was a picture of Eric from “True Blood.” Both Dana and Lemon Grass recommended the cut so I have used it for the past year, so keep the criticism to yourself :).

My hairdresser looked annoyed and motioned for me to go ahead and sit down. In case I forgot to mention, no one speaks English in this place. She just starts cutting away with scissors and all I can think is, “I am completely at this woman’s mercy.” Meanwhile there is a man behind me getting a full manicure and pedicure so I start to feel a little less fruity. She finishes up and I gestured that I liked it. It cost 1,200 Ft (about 6-7 American dollars) I paid her an extra 500 and gestured how I was late. She smiled and accepted thankfully. I figured tipping her was a good idea since I would probably be coming back :).

When I got home, I showed Dana my haircut and she approved, but also laughed a little too. I am trying to figure out why, so I go look in the mirror and I have a giant grayish/white streak across the side of my hair. I know I have been getting grayer for the last couple of years but this was pretty freaky. Luckily I have a beautiful wife who doesn’t care about me looking older. She says it is distinguishing, so I feel fortunate to have such a loving wife. You can look at the pictures and make your own decision on the success of the cut :). My opinion is that it was a success.

Before the haircut.

Side view of before the haircut.

After haircut.

1 comment: