Welcome!

Thanks for visiting our blog about our time in Hungary.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Anniversary In Hungary

Three years ago when I married Ben I would have never imagined our 3rd anniversary would be in Hungary. We have been together a total of almost 6 years and I can't believe how the time has gone by so quickly. Not to get mushy--but I really am married to the love of my life.

Here are a few random stories about me and Ben.

First "Date?"
The first "date" we had was in August of 2005. Ben randomly called me out of the blue after a long day of me checking people into the dorms. I was an RA in those days and in need of a good break from all the new residents. Ben asked me where I wanted to go and since I wasn't sure if this was a date or just a friendly get-together, I said Quizno's (a sandwich shop for those who may not know). While eating our sandwiches at Quizno's Ben bluntly told me, "Gosh your a cheap date!" In which I replied, "Thanks...I think?" Ben is famous for just saying things without realizing how they sound at first. I didn't take offense to it, if anything I felt it was sort of a compliment. After all we were just two college kids and being cheap at that age was considered a good thing. And hey, at least I got my answer about if we were on a date or not.

Buzzzz
Once things got more serious between me and Ben he invited me on a road trip to Colorado with him. We traveled up there after Christmas to celebrate with his family. Once we arrived I got to meet and re-meet some of his family again. It was exciting and I was nervous about making a good impression on everyone. On the second day of the trip, Ben's brother-in-law, Jeff casually told me that when you marry the dog you get the flees. And just moments later one of Ben's grandparents came across my path, at which point I could hear Jeff making a low buzzing sound. At that moment I knew I liked this family and it's sense of humor.

Just Say Yes!
I'm a hard girl to purpose to. I'll just say that if Ben hadn't been quite so patient in his proposal this blog entry may have never happened. For the record I had no idea that Ben was going to propose to me when he did. He proposed to me 4 to 6 months earlier than I had expected. I had joked a few months before with Ben that when/if he proposed he should get a hot air balloon. Well, he did the next best thing, he proposed to me on top of a roof at the hotel he use to work at (and also one of the highest points in Nacagodoches). Through some deceiving by friends I went up on the roof not knowing what was coming (I was told a cool roof top bar party was going on). When I saw Ben standing alone at a table and flowers I should have known...but I was still confused. It was only after the wine had been poured and Ben said, "Well I know this isn't a hot air balloon, but I thought this might do," did it finally occur to me what was happening. I spit my wine back into my glass and my eyes got big. He then got down on one knee and proposed.

However, I am not the typical girl so this is where it gets tricky. Instead of immediately saying yes I started grilling Ben with questions. Like: when would we get married? When are you moving to DFW? What about our jobs? So on and so on. For twenty minutes I had to discuss and layout our future plans. Always a planner and cautious till the end...I finally said yes once all my questions had been answered. Most guys would have thrown their hands up in the air and said, "I don't know!" or "Good god woman, just say yes already!" But Ben is not like other guys and for that I am eternally grateful.

After the proposal. :)


On our wedding day in the Fort Worth Japanese Botanical Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment